Date: 26-27-28 February 2013
Registration: via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background: Soft compressible clay induces large total and differential settlement to the structures built above. Construction on loose sands and high seismic region may face catastrophic liquefaction. To mitigate those problems and design a safe and economical foundation, a proper understanding of the settlement problem and the liquefaction potential is a pre-requisite, followed by the selection and design of suitable ground improvement method. This short course is designed to introduce and to train civil/structural/geotechnical engineers with the design, execution and monitoring of suitable ground improvement techniques. Exercise with case histories on real projects shall be given.
Course Contents: Covering theoretical design calculation,execution, monitoring and interpretation. Practice design and data interpretation session shall be given.
- PRECOMPRESSION With VERTICAL DRAINS: Basic Principles, Type of Vertical Drains, Application, Design Method and Calculation, Installation, Instrumentation, Monitoring, Interpretation, Asaoka Method, and Case Histories.
- VACUUM PRELOADING: Surcharging vs Vacuum Method; Execution; Monitoring System; Improved Ground; Application Examples and Case Histories (with projects in Indonesia and Vietnam)
- Liquefaction potential analysis: What is Liquefaction; Liquefaction Phenomenon; Liquefaction induced Damages; Identifying Liquefaction Potential; Cyclic Stress Ratio – CSR; Assessing Liquefaction through SPT data; Assessing Liquefaction Potential through CPT data; Liquefaction of Deeper Layer; Calculation Examples.
- DYNAMIC COMPACTION: Equipment, Mechanism, Execution procedure, Design Guidlines and Case Histories.
- VIBROCOMPACTION – VIBROFLOATATION – STONE COLUMNS: Vibro Compaction Mechanism, Dry Process, Wet Process, Vibroflotation, Vibrocat, Stone Columns, Design Guidelines, Case Histories.
- JET GROUTING: Various Grouting Techniques, Equipment, Execution, Formation, Cement and Composition, Application of Jet Grouting. Continue reading